Yesterday after a refreshing visit to the facilities in the Center of Visual Arts, I decided that a good way to savor the brisk, overcast fall day was to go into a small, ISU food-services cafe known as the Airport Lounge to procure a small cup of coffee. I would gleefully sip this hot cup of joe and briefly reminisce about previous experiences where warm cups of coffee in the cold have felt brilliant, during my brief trek back to my house.
I approached the coffee dispensers, and saw that Seattle's Best offered a Fair-Trade coffee and found that to be pretty rad. I automatically put my cup up to the spout and watched as the warm fluid that promised by sight of it's deep brown color to be utterly delicious poured itself in and settled, ready to receive a tablespoon or two of skim milk and make me smile with it's full, invigorating taste.
I then remembered that I had only one dollar on me, and did not think to use the little amount of money I had on my ISU card. When the register rung a dollar-twentyfour, I opened my wallet, looked puzzled, and asked the girl working the register if she would take debit. "No" is all she said. I replied "Would you take just one dollar?" She looked to an older woman behind her shoulder, who sternly shook her head, turned around and again said only blankfacedly (that's right, blankfacedly) "no". "Well here ya go."
I gave them their coffee back and walked out.
My thoughts afterwards started with "so they'd rather throw out their already poured and potentially sipped product than make the majority of it's price? I mean, people have principles, but give me a break you illogical, bland motherfuckers. And seriously, $1.24 for a small cup of coffee? The Coffeehouse in downtown Normal sells their cups of coffee for 90 cents a pop, and would probably give you it if you only had say, 82 cents."
"You know what? I don't need their stupid corporate coffee anyway, and I certainly don't need to feed any more scratch to ISU than I already have to. I oughta do the thing any self-respecting liberal would do, which is procure a cup of coffee from the Coffeehouse or Coffeehound and throw it in the faces of those Seattle's Best robots at the Airport Lounge!" Ok, so my thoughts didn't exactly come about as thus, but nevertheless, fuck them, their lame business-oriented principles, and their corporate supplier.
No, I didn't blow thing that much out of proportion, I'd like to add that there's nothing wrong with adding a little comedy.
Luckily I've got a bag of ground Fair-Trade waiting for me in the freezer the day such an event happens again. You won this time Airport Lounge, but next time I shall prevail!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You have your own coffee, yet you go to the local places? Why not purchase beans and grind them/make the coffee on your own? I'm sure you could find some really good roasts/flavors that maybe the coffeehouse that sells coffee for real cheap doesn't have. Just an idea.
PS. I can't stand the taste of coffee.
PSS. I will gladly take the train with you downtown tomorrow; I saw you asking on Facebook.
Post a Comment