“Pack lightly, dress in layers and be sure to have a hat, gloves and muffler.” I can remember my German professor my freshman year of college saying something to the effect of that during my German 361 planning course, which was planning our trip to Berlin March 9th until March 19th. To give you an idea of what my professor was like, think average crazy foreign language professor, horribly over-educated and used old-fashioned terms like “muffler” (which according to today’s vernacular, is a scarf). To give you an idea of what we were planning for, it was for what would ultimately make me choose German as my major, fascinate me with German and European culture in general, and leave me with a painful yearning to return. Despite various downsides such as getting thoroughly annoyed by most of my fellow group comrades, not packing warm enough (who would’ve know northern Germany would reach record low temperatures and snow levels during my visit), it really was a very memorable, noteworthy, and life-changing experience.
Before I blabber on and on about getting goose-bumps at various points throughout my journey, finally being able to put my German skills to the test et cetera, I must go into detail about what my group was like and how we planned for this odyssey. My professor, like I previously stated, had the persona of the average cool, friendly scholar who teaches German and listens to nothing but classical music. The other people in the group came from all over
Our plan was simple; sign up for a course with no pre-requisite, pay a ton of money, get obliterated by the bureaucratic paperwork necessary to go on such a trip, plan what we’d like to do during our visit and finally execute our plans while there. We met every Wednesday evening at
If I had any sense in me at the time, I would’ve definitely tried to save my enthusiasm and excitement until the flight over the Channel from
Keep in mind it was then
Once we arrived at Heathrow, I would’ve fancied milling around in the international terminal for a little while longer and to have been thoroughly amused by the various British, Irish and Scottish dialects coming out of people’s yammers. However an Airbus was waiting in a terminal far, far away and it wouldn’t have done a yank like me any good standing around like
It thoroughly sucked that the only sleep I got was during the 50 minute flight over the Channel to
We made our way to the currency exchange and learned how to ask the almighty Euro handler in German to exchange various amount of Dollars, as well as Traveler’s Cheques. From there we made our way to a sort of tourism counter to buy a discount card and get in on some sweet reduced public transportation fairs, gazing at the lavish airport interior en route. When we found out which bus would take us to one of the main hubs of
I find it quite strange that the cheesy, European interior designed bus and deep, relaxing German voice informing me about which stops we were approaching are parts of the journey which I remember with great detail. Oh and let’s not forget the hum and hiss of the Mercedes-Benz turbo diesel engine beneath me which was moving the hulk of a vehicle along. The bright yellow hand railings (painted such a color to ensure safety and maximum visibility… those sly Germans!), the weird print on the seats, the most-efficient-use-of-space seating arrangement, and the strategically placed ticket machines/verifiers made a good first impression on me, in honor of the people of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland.
That is all I have so far, I've got a good two pages or so left to write.
1 comment:
i like it but in that second sentence you say "german professor my freshman year of high school...during my german 361 class"
you were taking german 361 in high school!?!?
haha
Post a Comment